Re: [OM] How to start teaching a 9-year-old photography

Subject: Re: [OM] How to start teaching a 9-year-old photography
From: "Chris O'Neill" <coneill@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 1 May 2001 07:53:06 -0600
On 30 Apr 2001, at 9:22, Joel Wilcox wrote:

> What makes auto or program modes really successful is the understanding
> of when and why those modes are OK to use, and one gets this knowledge
> more infallibly from working a manual camera and learning when you can
> and can't trust the meter.  So I think I'll start him on the OM-1.

Just a suggestion, but I think I'd start him with the camera in "auto"
mode and let him concentrate on taking pictures.  Sure, he might have
some "duds" when the meter is fooled, but he's gonna have duds no
matter what.  If you start him off with having to deal with aperture and
shutter speeds, he might get turned off with it being "too hard."  Let him
snap pictures, see the results (good AND bad), and enjoy the fun of the
experience and then gradually introduce manual control.

Just my opinion, of course!

Regards,

Chris

P.S.  I didn't get my kids interested in photography when they were
little, but gave my 18 year-old son an OM-10 and my 16 year-old
daughter a NewPic 60 for Christmas.  Unfortunately, in many ways,
they live far away from here so I'm not able to share their learning
experiences with them.

---
Chris O'Neill (coneill@xxxxxxxxxxx)
http://www.nucleus.com/~coneill