Re: [OM] Cleaning Lenses

Subject: Re: [OM] Cleaning Lenses
From: andrew fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 1 May 2001 17:46:44 +1000
I used to use lab grade ethanol to clean both the outside and the
front/rear elements but it would smear a bit on the glass, depending on the
amount of filth (I sometimes buy lenses from pawnbrokers that have stood on
an open shelf, rear end upwards - ergh! I also had difficulty cleaning
dirty mirrors - left drying smears, even after 3-4 floodings. So I asked my
local repairman. He uses Windex! Ammonia based. Blue stuff you use on
showers, windows, etc. I tried it with some trepidation, on a couple of
nasty old lenses first. It works - evaporates very quickly. So -
Apply Windex with a dipped Johnson & Johnson Cotton Bud (some other brands
have something in the cotton to hold it together). Work gently over the
surface. Remove recalcitrant specks gently with the point of a toothpick.
Final VERY gently rub with a clean microfibre cloth. Seems to work. Next
step - I'll try removing foam goo from a mirror and focus screen - on a
dead body first, of course!
AndrewF