Re: [OM] Cleaning Lenses

Subject: Re: [OM] Cleaning Lenses
From: Chris Barker <imagopus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2001 21:20:01 +0200
Oh come on pj, this is fun question :>).

John O'R, I use Mr Sheen or some other multi-purpose household
silicone-based stuff (v sparingly of course) to clean the barrel,
making sure that none gets on the glass or inside.  I use a lens
"wand" or stick for the lenses.  this has a little brush at one end
to flick away dust and a small pad with cleaning stuff inside at the
other end to get rid of grease marks etc.  It is a satisfying way of
cleaning the lens.  some say that using liquid on the glass is asking
for trouble, as it might creep into the workings.  But when I did use
isopropyl (dilute) I used it sparingly with a lens tissue.

Alternatively, if the dust and particles have been blown away with a
puffer or compressed air, a microfibre cloth should be OK for
cleaning away the grease marks.

Whatever I use, I use it more and more carefully now :>).

Chris

John wrote:
<<<I need to clean one or two lenses purchased recently (and maybe one or two
of my own!)
What is best to use for glass surfaces? and for barrel surfaces?
Any hints, lore?>>>

My reply:
Oh no!!!  Not again!!!
I urge you to search the archives.  This topic comes up very often.
There is no consensus, but I use 99 0sopropyl alcohol from the drug store
and cotton swabs or old cotton T-shirt.  I stay away from the 70 0sopropyl
because it has all sorts of other listed ingredients and use cotton because
paper products can have fibers that may scratche elements.
Also, I hope you are talking about cleaning the front and rear elements and
not taking the lens apart.  Unless you have a _very_ proven method of
controlling the dust, I would leave this to a professional.

HTH,
--p.j.