Re: [OM] Was suggestions for interiors. Now basic ethics

Subject: Re: [OM] Was suggestions for interiors. Now basic ethics
From: "Chris O'Neill" <coneill@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2001 07:53:53 -0600
On 26 Apr 2001, at 13:48, Roger Wesson wrote:

> Well, this is a concise exposition of the capitalist view of the
> situation.  I take a somewhat different viewpoint....

Let's get back to talking cameras of the Olympus genre, okay?

Bottom line on this one is that there's multiple views on the matter.
However, taking what doesn't belong to you IS wrong!  No, it's not a
"hanging offense" in most parts of the world, but it's wrong.  Trying to
justify the action by claiming the "vicitim" can afford to be ripped off, or
even "deserves" to be ripped off because the item is over priced, just
doesn't cut the mustard.  Nor does justifying it by saying, "I can't afford
it so I'll take it."

Larry, if using pirated software is "okay" why not post a message listing
every piece of pirated software you use.  No, not "a graphics program"
and vague descriptions like that...  put the titles and versions in a list
and post it to the mailing list.  While you're at it, add a list of all those
URLS to where you get this stuff.

My guess is that someone will forward that list to the authorities, they'll
pay you a visit, and then a judge will correct your misconception that it's
okay to pirate software because the software companies charge too
much for their product.  Oh, yeah, what's your home address?  Let's
save the authorities the trouble of looking it up.

What???  You don't wanna actually "confess" in the mailing list???  I
suppose it's not quite "okay" to pirate software, then, is it?

Regards,

Chris

P.S.  I agree with the person who wrote that Larry should stop whining
in the list 'bout how hard done by he is.  It does get *very* tiring and, as
someone else pointed out, he can't be doing all *that* bad since he can
afford a computer and the internet.

---
Chris O'Neill (coneill@xxxxxxxxxxx)
http://www.nucleus.com/~coneill