[OM] Software theft

Subject: [OM] Software theft
From: NSURIT@xxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2001 00:21:40 EDT
One member stated three times that copying software off the web was simply
not theft.  What was it that Shakespeare said about the lady protesting too
much?  Seems to me the person he was trying to convince may have been himself.

The dictionary says theft is the act of stealing.  It then says to steal is
to take something that does not belong to one; take dishonestly. It also says
that stealing is to take or appropriate (another's work, words or ideas)
without permission.

I'm not sure where the room for interpretation is as it applies to copying
and using software (Photoshop) off the web.  Bill Barber