Re: [OM] collectability of OM wasSales brochures: valuable?

Subject: Re: [OM] collectability of OM wasSales brochures: valuable?
From: Gary Reese <pcacala@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2001 19:05:19 -0700
P.J. asks:

<< what are your feelings (and other list members, of course) on the
collectibility of the OM system vs. other systems? >>

IMHO, The following factors all play a role in collectability of camera
equipment:
* nostalgia (e.g., "I wanted it when I was younger and didn't have the
money, so I'm going to get it now that I do!")
* historic cutting edge technology
* an innovate (classic) design
* snob appeal
* marketing image that the producing company has created - for example
Contax getting us to feel that (rather than objectively think!) Carl
Zeiss lenses are world class
* demand, which reduces supply and makes us think something is rare,
thus resulting in hording by the "haves" vs. "have nots"
* high priced when last available (Olympus has done this - either on
purpose or by default)
* available information that drives collectors interests and desires,
like rarer variations
* an active market which facilitates trading up and makes it possible to
liquidate without a heavy cost
* appreciation in value, rather than depreciation over what it costs in
the past
* availability of parts/technicians to restore components

Finally, maybe, jokers like me who keep saying Olympus OM has
collectable components.

Comparable mainstream systems (vs. narrow niche like Leica, Alpa, etc.)
would be (among others) the earliest SMC Pentax lenses (original K
mount), early Nikon reflex system components and Olympus Pen F.  The
collectability of Pen F helps legitimize the evolving collectability of
the OM System.

Gary Reese
Las Vegas, NV