RE: [OM] Re: What is the World Coming to --- A postscript and a question

Subject: RE: [OM] Re: What is the World Coming to --- A postscript and a question
From: "Wayne Harridge" <wayneharridge@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2001 19:45:56 +1000
Sam wrote:

> So, can you please give me some advice on what I should look for
> on an OM2n.
> Obviously I know about looking for dinks and general signs of high- or
> mis-usage but what specific signs are there that would say "don't buy this
> one"

If they offer a warranty (or money back if not satisfied), then the obvious
signs of misuse are probably sufficient.  If no warranty:

For a start check all the stuff you know about from your OM-1, foam in back
and front of prism, clean mirror & general viewfinder, self timer, smooth
wind, signs of corrosion (around viewfinder eyepiece, under rewind knob,
joins in body), all caps (especially MD cap), smooth operation of shutter
speed ring with definite "stops" at the marked shutter speeds, does it have
a shoe 4, is the shoe 4 cracked (usually each side of the knurled screw).
Put a lens on it that you know is ok, check focus looks reasonable.

OM-2 specific stuff:

Check that shutter speeds look & sound reasonable over the full range on
manual.  Put a short length of film in the film gate and check that the
shutter speeds seem reasonable for the ISO/aperture you use on auto.  Put a
lens cap on and fire the shutter on auto, shutter should stay open for 3 - 4
min.  If it locks up, it could have flakey batteries (move shutter speed
ring to "B" to reset it, you need to press the small "B LOCK" button at the
bottom of the lens mount).
If possible run a short length of transparency film through it (small
apertures/large apertures/manual/auto) and check that the exposures look ok.
Can't think of anything else off the top of my head.

If any of the tests fail, it may still be a good buy (you will need to
assess the risk)!  You should be able to use any failed test as a reason for
them to reduce the price.

Wayne Harridge
Ivanhoe, Victoria, Australia
http://members.optusnet.com.au/~w_harridge/