Re: [OM] wanted: scanning lesson 101

Subject: Re: [OM] wanted: scanning lesson 101
From: "Joel Wilcox" <jdubikins@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2001 07:30:02 -0500
I haven't tried this, but it's an interesting suggestion. I love digital technique that comes out of the photographer's milieu. Perfect use for those test slides involving gray card that one uses to establish the true ASA setting for film and camera.

Joel W.

Jez Cunningham saith:
In the book "Photoshop for Photographers" concerning color balance there is an interesting suggestion that you photograph a grey card (ideally a Kodak 18 0rey reference) and then use the dropper tool to sample some pixels on the scanned image. The R, G and B components should all have the SAME numerical value if there is no color cast - and presumably should equate to 18%. So by tweaking levels on the color channels they can be equalized and then by tweaking brightness and contrast the image can
presumably be 'calibrated' to the gray card.
And then the rest of the photos on the same film should be correct.

Anyone tried this?