Re: [OM] OM: a bit OT question

Subject: Re: [OM] OM: a bit OT question
From: andrew fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2001 09:11:23 +1000
>Last night my wife and I watched the just released on DVD
>remastered/restored version of Rear Window. The original one with Grace
>Kelly and Jimmy Stewart. Hitchcock at his best and now in color (which I
>haven't decided is an improvement or not).

It isn't - just as desaturating a colour image isn't satisfactory B&W.
As for 'colourising' a film like 'The Maltese Falcon' which, I think, got
an Oscar for B&W photography, well.... Isn't Ted Turner responsible for
these despicable acts?

Anyway, does anyone know what
>kind of camera and lens Jimmy used to spy on his neighbors? Was that an
>old Leica? What about the glass?
>Mike

If I remember rightly (the same question occured to me a while back) it was
an Exacta system - the common pro-quality 35mm system of the time (nice
Schneider lenses).
AndrewF