Re: [OM] Expousure compensation om-4t

Subject: Re: [OM] Expousure compensation om-4t
From: clintonr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2001 14:07:09 -0500

Johnsonpa@xxxxxxx wrote:

> <<<I just wonder if anyone experieced  the same ting; with the
> exposure
> compensator going wild,  and if so what to do about it???>>>
>
> Do you mean the bars you see in the viewfinder when you look through
> the
> camera?  Mine did this when I first received it.  I sent it to John
> H., and
> it's been working properly ever since.  I realize this doesn't help
> you, but
> it might clarify to others what your problem is.
>
> --p.j.

Sounds right to me -- the input of the exposure compensation dial is a
variable resistor (quite similar to the ASA/ISO input of the OM-2s), and
they sometimes (or, in the case of the OM-2s, often!) become erratic due
to poor conductivity.

You can often alleviate the problem temporarily by turning the
compensation dial back and forth several times to "clean" the brushes
and contact pad, but the problem usually returns after only a short
while.  Only by opening the camera and cleaning the contacts will the
problem be corrected for good (assuming that is the cause).