[OM] OM Guide Editorship [OT]

Subject: [OM] OM Guide Editorship [OT]
From: Kelton Rhoads <krho@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 23:15:49 -0700
Just a quick note (well, quick by my longwinded standards, at least)
about the need for an editor for the Guide -- did I mention to the list
that I teach a class in Virtual Groups here at the University? One bit of
evidence unearthed by those who research the way that virtual groups work
best is the need for a single point of contact for the sake of
efficiency. It's really difficult for humans to get work done virtually
if there are too many parallel paths occurring simultaneously (and I
demonstrate this effect in my classes via exercises that thoroughly
frustrate and sometimes anger my students when I don't allow anyone to
lead during a virtual project). Most experts recommend that virtual
groups, in particular, have a single point of contact -- someone who has
a bird's eye view of the process. Our editor won't need to play the role
of "boss" so much as "coordinator," but that will be an important role,
and I'm convinced that we'll need an editor to fill that position.
Perhaps this is why overworked, underpaid editors are the norm on
virtually all multiple-author works. That said, our editor would probably
appreciate an editorial board to get a lot of the creative thinking,
motivational, editing, data-checking, and reviewing work done--and it
sounds like there are several of us who would be willing to assume those
roles. Wow, I can hardly believe it: we're picking up momentum already!