Re: [OM] Digital Range: what about...

Subject: Re: [OM] Digital Range: what about...
From: Chuck Norcutt <norcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 07 Apr 2001 07:52:56 -0400
p.j. asked:
Anybody have comments on Digital ICE, or should I just check the
Archives?
Also, is the Acer ScanWit 2720 still the list's favorite film scanner?
Well, the 2720s is my favorite since I paid only $250 for it on
ubid.com.  Don't know whether it was refurbished or not (not advertised
that way) but there was a group of 7 of them that went in the range of
$220-280.  My bid ended up in the middle.  That was about 9 months ago I
think.

Acer is now selling the 2740s with Digital ICE.  Apart from the Digital
ICE the rest of the hardware specs appear to me the same.

If you're uncertain about whether the 2720s is suitable or not send me:
1) a negative strip with up to 6 negs and tell me what kind of film it
is
2) for US list members, two US dollars (to cover envelope, postage and
CD-ROM)
   for non-US list members maybe we can work something out.

I will scan the images at 2700dpi and 24 bit color depth, write them to
CD-ROM and mail them back to you.  File size at 24 bits may be as large
as 27MB per image.  I can't tell the difference between scans at 24 bits
and 36 bits except that they have to be stored as 48 bits and take twice
as much space.  Also, most software can't deal with 48 bit stuff.
(Photoshop and Hamrick's stuff excepted)

I will also accept up to 4 slides but I must tell you that the Scanwit
slide carrier got the short end of the stick from the engineers.  I have
never been able to put a slide in without bunging the corners.  They're
so hard to put in that I also know that some day I'm gonna slip and bung
the emulsion as well.  I make no guarantees about the condition of what
you get back.

>>Make sure that any slide or neg that you send is considered expendable<<

Now, very important!  This is not an offer to do free scanning for all
500 members of the list.  You must be seriously considering the 2720s.
To keep the number within reason you must first email me and ask if it's
OK and if it is I will respond with my snail mail address.  If I get too
many I will cut it off at some point.

Chuck Norcutt
Woburn, Massachusetts, USA