[OM] winder mystery

Subject: [OM] winder mystery
From: "Gary Edwards" <garyetx@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2001 21:59:25 -0500
I shot this weekend using a two camera remote setup, as I have used before.
However, unlike before, only one camera ran, and I am baffled by the
problem.  Here is the setup:  An OM-2N with a Winder 1 and an OM-2 with a
Winder 2.  Both connected to a junction box via miniature phone plugs into
the winder handles, the same box o have used before, modified this time to
connect to a switch box via binding posts instead of the previously used
jack and Olympus Remote Cord 5m.  Both cameras connected in parallel with
polarity respected, and otherwise electrically isolated as the mount was
plywood.  A single remote switch box triggered both cameras from about 75
feet via 22 gauge lamp cord.  The cameras both ran the first 4 frames by
remote triggering when set up and checked out on the preceeding day.  On the
next day, the OM-2N ran all of the rest of the frames as it was triggered
one frame at a time over about a minute (roughly 1 frame every 2 s).  The
OM-2 exposed only one frame in that same time.  Both cameras ran fine
individually afterward and collectively when reconnected in the same
configuration.  Both cameras were set to AUTO, the OM-2N with an EI set at
250 and the OM-2 with the same setting of 250, but metering through a 25A
filter, so the effective speed was about 50.  The exposures should have been
on the order of 1/60 - 1/250, plenty fast enough to avoid failure to
complete the exposure before the next trigger signal.  Fresh batteries in
both winders and bodies.  Both bodies returned recently from John
Hermanson's shop after CLAs with no noted problems. Both Winders switched to
SINGLE.  The OM-2 did have black backing paper from a 120 film roll taped to
the presuure plate because it was running HIE, but no adhesive was exposed.

Any suggestions?  Any ideas on troubleshooting? I'm stumped.

Gary Edwards

people, places, flight at: http://members.home.com/garyetx/index.htm