[OM] Re: olympus-digest V2 #2311

Subject: [OM] Re: olympus-digest V2 #2311
From: Vaughan Bromfield <vaughan.bromfield@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 01 Apr 2001 13:53:30 +1000
Hans

Synchro-Compur shutters are notoriously difficult to tune. Back in my
Large Format days ( a cople of Linhof Tenhnika 4x5s) I spent gobs of
money CLA-ing old Compur shutters only to find that they cannot be
accurate across the board. Either end is fine (except the top speed is
lucky to be 1/250 or 1/125) and can be consistent as long as they are
regularly used. In the end, consistency is more important than accuracy.
Bracketing is not an option for Large Format (at least not on my budget).

The Japanese know how to make a fine mechanical shutter. I guess it's
not an option for medium format, but if an old large format lens's glass
is nice, I'd transplant it into a Copal shutter.

It's the bane of large-format, especially older stuff: nice glass, shame
about the shutter. Interestingly those that have been thrashed
continuously (like in a school or studio) seem to fare better
mechanically but look bad cosmetically.

As far as doing the job yourself, maybe flush it with solvent to remove
the gunk or something, but there are so many tiny little springs and
catches in those things just itching to escape!

Vaughan