[OM] New Zoom Lens - derivative of Cold War military development

Subject: [OM] New Zoom Lens - derivative of Cold War military development
From: "Per Nordenberg" <per.nordenberg@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 1 Apr 2001 18:51:07 +0200
Read in rec.photo.equipment.35mm today:

--
"Berlin - 31 March 2001.

A Russian company, Zenitoptikpak, has just released a new zoom lens for
the more popular SLR's.

The ZK-16-600 f/1.2 Apo SVCW Apo Macro

Zoom range is 16 to 600mm all at a blistering fast f/1.2 with no
rotating front element.  This is possibe due to advanced high
refraction/lo absorption glass developed for Cold War laser applications
(for which the Russians have always been highly advanced).
Weight of the lens is a reasonable 21 ounces with a fixed length of 9.5
inches.
AF is said to be crisp, fast and quiet due to the new subsonic variable
crest wave (SVCW) drive (a by product of military R&D in Russia during
the Cold War for an unspecified weapon system suspected to be part of
submarine propulsion systems)

While the suggested retail price of the lens is US$999, they are already
flying off the shelf in Singapore, Taipei, Tokyo, Hong Kong, Berlin and
New York at prices exceeding $2,000.  "It's a seller's market," said
Weipu Shiu in Taipei, "we think we can sustain this price for a few
months.  And the distributors are doing a great job keeping us well
supplied."

Early users of the lens say that it is great, being both relatively
compact and light for the incredible zoom range and very bright in the
viewfinder.  Test images from the lens show barely perceptible amounts
of barel distortion.  "You need a ruler to really measure the
distortion, and even then it is barely there," said an excited
professional in New York who wishes to remain anonymous, "It may very
well be the only lens anyone needs."  She went on to say that the lens
is opening up her apreciation for macro photography at all focal lengths
at distances down to 15 cm.  "All that and no 'macro' button to press...
the lens just 'does it'."  She went on to add that the lens didn't
really look that great itslef, but it well built and solid.  Bound to be
a 'cult' lens, she added.

Supported AF SLR's are:
    Nikon
    Canon
    Minolta
    Pentax
    Olympus
    Yashika

A spokesman for the comany said that they would not make a Contax
compatible mount, "Our lens is for people who actually use their
camera", he said.  The spokesman, a former Russian Air Force officer and
now a major shareholder in the comapny declined to give his name, and
grew aggitated when asked if the company pays royalties to the Russian
government or military for the use of the advaced technology.

Alan Browne"
--

I'm perfectly aware that it's April 1st today, but it is nevertheless somewhat
comforting to see the

Regards,

Per Nordenberg