[OM] Human Yellow-Eye Explained (Maybe ??)

Subject: [OM] Human Yellow-Eye Explained (Maybe ??)
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 01 Apr 2001 01:22:37 +0000
During a discussion about red-eye a while back, someone posted they experienced "yellow-eye" in photographs of humans ("yellow-eye" is the common risk in canine photographs). As I had never seen it before in photographs of humans, I kept wondering what caused it.

In researching the structure of the eye for writing a tutorial about reducing red-eye risk I looked at a cross-section of the eye. The diagram shows a "yellow spot" above the retina at the back of the eye. I'm suspecting the human "yellow-eye" is a reflection from this spot at the back of the eye. This would be similar to what produces "red-eye" which is a reflection from the blood in high concentration of capillaries in the nearby retina.

Anyone steeped in knowledge about the human eye want to comment on this? Is this the source of it?

-- John