Re: [OM] Gigabit Film

Subject: Re: [OM] Gigabit Film
From: "Michael Gardner" <mikeg@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2001 12:18:44 -0500
The current issue of Leica Fotografie magazine has a full test article of
the Gigabit film by Erwin Puts.  Mr. Puts is a skilled and dedicated tester
of all things Leica and film.  He has a web site.
If he has the Gigabit testing on his web site I'll post the URL.

The short answer is while the film appears to have some gain in resolution
over Tmax100 or Techpan, any real gains in results will be effectively
limited by shooting technique (camera vibration or focussing errors), the
quality of the shooting lenses, the quality of the enlarging lens and
technique (vibration and focussing of the enlarger).  Another factor is that
the human eye is already limited in its ability to perceive fine resolution
and any gains made in superfine resolution would only be evident in very
large prints, like poster size or bigger.

Mike Gardner