Re: [OM] Zuiko 65-200 Zoom Lens

Subject: Re: [OM] Zuiko 65-200 Zoom Lens
From: clintonr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2001 22:50:03 -0600
First, be sure your eye is centered exactly in the viewfinder.  If it's
off to one side or the other, half of the split may appear darker,
and/or portions of the micro-prism collar will be darker.  Move your eye
side to side until this clears up.

Second, to check "infinity", you need to be looking at something on the
order of several miles away -- down the street won't do.

Third, realize that with many big lenses, you can't just crank the ring
to the stop for infinity -- they're built so the distance ring will turn
"past" infinity to compensate for expansion/contraction of the barrels
and elements in temperature extremes.  Off the top of my head I don't
recall if the 65-200 was like this, but you can see if there's a
substantial over-travel past the center of the infinity mark (2-3mm).

It's rare for this lens' focus to "shift" in any event.  If it still
appears "off", try different bodies if you can to confirm that the
problem is in the lens.