[OM] OM-Thailand Observations

Subject: [OM] OM-Thailand Observations
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2001 13:36:05 -0800
Unplanned events department:

1. I took my OM1N body on my tour of Thailand as a back up and indoors camera with fast film. On the first day the mercury battery failed inside a buddhist shrine. Spare battery was dropped and it rolled under heartily praying worshipper. Tour was leaving. Left battery. No mercury batteries in Thailand.

2. Rained/drizzled off and on for10 days during "dry season". Thailand is very dark in the rain.(Cooler temperatures, though) Glad I took some ISO400 film, and the 2.8 zoom instead of the 3.6. The OM4T did just fine in the damp and wet.

3. The shoulder strap on an Omni AW should NOT be detached and carried in the net pocket when using the the backpack portion as a carryon since it crawls out and disappears of its own accord. However, Lowe Pro customer service is more than generous and is sending me a replacement for $12 which is about what the postage and handling would be.

The tour was exceptional and I really enjoyed the country and its warm, courteous people. A tour is not the best venue for photographs with much art. You see a lot, but not usually at the best times of day for photography. It is fun to see what you can grab in the little time you have.

We spent the better part of a week in Bangkok and a similar period in Chiang Mai, up north. We even took a little unofficial boat trip to Laos since we were already on the Mekong River. I would highly recommend the trip to anyone, especially if includes sights away from Bangkok as well.

Winsor
--
Winsor Crosby
Long Beach, California, USA