Re: Hama video converters [was: Re: [OM] Off-brand tele/wide converters

Subject: Re: Hama video converters [was: Re: [OM] Off-brand tele/wide converters for iS?]
From: "C.H.Ling" <chling@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2001 09:08:06 +0800
The E-10 has a very small CCD when compared to 35mm film, you won't be able
to use the 3X converter for the E-10, it only has 49mm front lens diameter.
For 35mm you can refer to the rule - focal length/aperture must be smaller
than or equal to the front lens diameter, otherwise vignetting will occur.

e.g. with

85/2=42.5 you have 49mm diameter
100/2=50  you have 55mm
300/4.5 66.6 you have 72mm

you can see there is big different between 4 and 4.5, if Olympus has made a
F4 lens, the front filter size has to be at least 77mm.

Don't expect any magic with front converter, seeing through the viewfinder
does not give you accurate result. I think the Video converter is designed
for low resolution use only and the DOF of video is very larger they don't
need to care about field curvature. For film camera, you should stick with
Olympus IS series converters they are excellent in design.

I have a IS3000 1.7X converter, unfortunate with the large front element it
still cause vignetting on the picture (but you can't see the vignetting in
the finder). There seems to be some design un-match. But I will try it out
with my 135/3.5 or 85/2 later to see how it perform.

C.H.Ling