Re: [OM] Screens 1-4 and 1-4N

Subject: Re: [OM] Screens 1-4 and 1-4N
From: Simon Evans <sje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2001 22:33:29 GMT
Roger Key wrote:

>The smaller central circle in the 4n demarcates the spot metering area for
>OM-2S, OM3 (Ti), and OM-4 (Ti).

The microprism collar of the 1-13 is near enough the 20f the spotmetered
models. Is the 1-4n the same size? It doesn't appear in Shipman's 1989 book.

>The larger circle of the 1-4 marks the center-weighted of the OM-1 and OM-2.

I didn't think the centre-weighting was that precisely marked. In fact, the
term suggests it is weighted (or biased) toward central subjects, not that
it is metered only from that area. I also recall reading that Olympus'
centre-weighted metering wasn't half as weighted as other makes. My own and
others' experience of underexposure in auto mode when there is sky in the
frame backs this up.

The pattern on the first curtain of late OM2 and subsequent TTL-auto models
is not strongly weighted, though the original OM2 pattern was more so (I
believe R. Lee Hawkins' website has a link to jpegs of the two curtain
patterns).

Simon E.