IR - was: Re: [OM] Updated gallery

Subject: IR - was: Re: [OM] Updated gallery
From: "Barry B. Bean" <bbbean@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2001 14:31:25 -0600 (CST)
On Fri, 23 Mar 2001 11:32:05 -0700, Chris O'Neill wrote:

>> http://www.cris.com/~Bbbean/gallery.html
>
>Nice pics, Barry.  Are the two of purple (or is it lavendar?) plants done
>in infrared film?  I've always pondered trying IR film, but haven't gotten
>up the nerve.  Your comments and suggestions on using IR film would be
>appreciated.

Yes - all the red plant shots were shot using Kodak EIR and yellow or
orange filters (the IR sunflower was shot with the built in orange
filter in my 16/3.5). I typically shoot it at 320, and bracket when
necessary. EIR is great film, although you do need to watch the high
contrast. Essentially shoot it like finicky E-100VS or Velvia, and
you'll do fine.

Handling and processing merit a note. Although some people claim to
load EIR in subdued light with no problems, I load an unload in a
changing bag or darkroom. Also - be sure the lab that processes it
doesn't use IR sensors in their darkroom. I typically use A&I mailers
or a pro lab in Memphis - Dixie Color Lab.

Also, while EIR is pricey, there are some private dealers who buy in
bulk and sell it at $8/roll. I've bought several rolls from Rolland
Elliot and have had no problems with quality.

BB
-
B.B. Bean                                       bbbean@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Bean & Bean Cotton Co/Bean Farms                http://www.beancotton.com