[OM] Olympus Gallery

Subject: [OM] Olympus Gallery
From: Garth Wood <garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2001 20:04:15 -0700
The day before yesterday and yesterday, I was contacted by several people asking me if the Olympus Gallery had 'disappeared.' Apparently, they weren't able to raise it.

I initially replied that it was fine, and indeed, when I surfed to it I could see it, but my sysadmin tells me that we had a couple of problems Monday through Wednesday which may have compromised it.

First, we appear to have been the targets of a distributed Denial of Service attack, for no good reason that we can think of. Someone's been firing hundreds of Megs of ICMP packets at our servers, effectively slowing them to a crawl.

As if that weren't bad enough, a technician at our upstream provider decided to "re-write" portions of one of their router tables, but neglected to test the changes. The changes, as it turned out, made us invisible to much of the Internet for most of Wednesday.

Things are better now. The DDOS attack appears to have moved on (though we've had several of these, and have no idea why), and the technician has been thoroughly yelled at for being a goof with three O's. ;-)

Sorry if this has been a problem for anybody. Believe me, if we could stop these problems, we would...

Garth

"A bad day doing photography is better
 than a good day doing just about
 anything else."

The Unofficial Olympus Web Photo Gallery at:

   http://www.taiga.ca/~gallery/