Re: [OM] Why Olympus won't retrofit the OM lens line for digital...

Subject: Re: [OM] Why Olympus won't retrofit the OM lens line for digital...
From: "Andrew Beals <bandy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>" <bandy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2001 17:05:33 -0800
> The only area I would challenge is the size of the CCD to match 35mm
> resolution.  I use a film scanner, a Polaroid Sprintscan 4000, which results
> in approximately 5500x3500 pixels. (50+ MB TIFF files)  Surely drum scanners
> produce even larger image sizes.
>
> It's a minor quibble, but I do think a larger CCD is necessary to match
> 35mm.

Apples to oranges comparison.  The devices you are speaking of are imaging
static images,  so it's easy to get higher resolutions because you can add
moving parts.

The only way you could do that with today's small CCDs would be to have a
moving CCD.  One the exact same dimension as the openings in a regular film
curtain, which moved in the same way the film curtain does, that you could
offload as quickly as necessary.  A nasty solution and something that's bound
to break and eat batteries like mad.

--
HOPLOPHOBIA IS A SOCIAL DISEASE
http://cinnamon.com/~bandy/      DoD#1005