Re: [OM] (Fwd) OMs and the problems of meter readings.

Subject: Re: [OM] (Fwd) OMs and the problems of meter readings.
From: "Michael Gardner" <mikeg@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2001 19:58:36 -0500
The short answer is the old Chinese proverb: "Man with two watches never
sure what time it is".

Camera meters all vary to one degree or another in their response to light
levels especially with older relatively unsophisticated metering systems.
You can drive yourself crazy trying to sort it all out with that many
cameras.  Did you have each camera on a tripod and the grey card fastened in
a secure position?  Even a slight change in reflection angle can give you a
slightly different reading due to the way the light is reflecting off the
grey card relative to the camera.

The best way to narrow down the variance is to shoot a roll of slides in
each camera metering as you normally would and do a bit of bracketing to
find out how far the meter is off and reading high or low.  Then just set
your ISO setting to compensate ever after when you shoot that film.  If, for
example, you shoot Sensia 100 and your slides are coming out a bit dark, try
setting the ISO at 80 or even 64 to compensate.  If the slides are too
light, go the other way.

If you normally shoot print film and have been getting good results,  don't
worry about it at all as film latitude will cover minor variations.

Mike Gardner