[OM] Speaking of Tamron lens.......

Subject: [OM] Speaking of Tamron lens.......
From: "c.e.packard" <packardc@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2001 18:50:56 -0600
Enthusiasts,
With all this talk of Tamron's lately I just wanted to pass this along.
Recently, a Tamron 400/4 w/Adaptall 2 mount went up for auction on eBay,
item 1219838503.
I did not hit the seller's reserve price, missed by a bit over three of
hundred dollars. Anyway, I emailed the seller asking what the reserve
was and he mailed me back with the figure and the question "What's my
best offer?". I replied with my offer and waited and waited but no reply
came. Here comes the unfortunate part, I was mucking around with
Netscape about that time and my 'reply to:' address directed his and
others' replies somewhere else. By the time I got my email problems
straightened out and found the messages I had committed to buy a Tamron
300/2.8 from the same seller. (Another eBay auction) The seller's
counter offer for the 400/4 to my best offer made me wish that I had
tried to back out of the 300/2.8 deal and buy the 400/4 instead. But,
being a man true to my word, I did not.

Patience please. I'm almost to the point. I just got the 300/2.8 today
and it is nearly mint! (IMHO) just some dust on the front element. The
finish is perfect and the glass spotless. I wanted to make sure that
what I bought is what I received before mentioning the Tamron 400/4 to
the group.

Now to the point:
The seller's name Sean Cranor from Camera West in Monterey CA.
http://www.camerawest.com/
There is one (soon to be two) mentions about Camera West on photo.rec.
He only has a couple of Oly items listed but the Tamron 400/4 with
Adaptall 2 mount is still listed at a price I do believe he'll come down
from substantially.

I hope my story wasn't too confusing. I just don't want to put the
seller at a disadvantage. I don't know what a Tamron 400/4 goes for
used, I just know that it's supposed to be a very, very good lens and
somewhat rare.

Just giving y'all a heads up!
Charles Packard