[OM] Moving OM1 Meter Needle

Subject: [OM] Moving OM1 Meter Needle
From: Kelton Rhoads <krho@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2001 11:08:19 -0800
> When the meter is switched off, if I turn the
>shutter speed dial towards B (about 1 or 2 speed), I can get the meter
>needle to move.  It will also move again at this point if I change the
>aperture settings.  This also happens WITHOUT A BATTERY.  Any insight as to
>what this is and why the needle would move even without a battery?  When it
>moves it is not a correct reading; when the meter is switched back or a
>battery replaced on it works properly.

As many have pointed out, this is normal. Here's why: the shutter speed
ring is connected to the meter with one of several floss-like pieces of
string. There are various ways in which the "slack' in this string is
taken up, but when no more slack exists (in the bottom of the meter
range) then the strings starts physically turning the housing of the
meter. So what you are seeing in the bottom ranges is the physical
coupling of the ss ring to the galvenometer housing. (I think.) --Kelton