Re: [OM] Thoughts about olympus lens review site

Subject: Re: [OM] Thoughts about olympus lens review site
From: "Chris O'Neill" <coneill@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2001 18:28:20 -0700
On 16 Mar 2001, at 21:01, Andrew Dacey wrote:

> I also
> wouldn't want to steal any thunder from the esif, the lens test site, or
> the various auction price sites. I think it makes more sense to link to
> those sites for providing that information (which also gives the credit to
> the people that deserve it).

One thing I have in mind that would be neat would be where you select
a lens (using a pull-down menu perhaps?), and then you're taken to a
page that has "everything there is" (as if there is such a thing) on that
lens....  specifications, user ratings, auction price summaries, lens test
scores, etc....  or at least links to those bits of information.  Sort of a
"one-stop resource" sort of thing.  I don't know how difficult that'd be to
implement, but it'd sure be cool!

> 4. This would be a completely non-comercial site. I am already paying
> for hosting for my personal site, so that's not an issue for me. The
> only comercial aspect of my site is I do plan to sell prints of my
> photos (assuming anyone would like to buy them). So I won't be doing the
> site with any thoughts of financial gain. Of course that's not to say that
> donations of Olympus gear wouldn't be appreciated :-).

Okay, gang, let's all send Andrew our spare 50/1.8 lenses!  :-)))

> Now then, I have a couple of questions too:
>
> 1. What types of ratings would you like to see? Some sites seem to just use
> a single rating while others break it down differently (like build quality,
> optics, overall, etc). Which would you prefer to see?

I'd prefer to see at least some breakdown, but not so many as to be
confusing.  I'm ot sure exactly where that dividing line is, though.
Maybe others have some thoughts?

> 2. Should the lenses be broken down just by focal length and apeture or
> should it be broken down into the various versions? MC vs. SC would be a
> fairly easy distinction but it seems like trying to cover every version of
> the 50mm 1.8 could get a bit difficult. Thoughts?

Oh Gawd!  I think if you get into every variation of every lens, it's gonna
be a major undertaking!  I suppose the MC vs. SC is useful, but I don't
think I'd take it much further than that.  Perhaps one option would be to
provide space for reviewers to record the serial number (e.g. "369xxx" or
something like that) of the lens they're basing their review on?  That
might be useful.

> 3. Anything else that you'd like to see with this?

Not that I can think of, but if something comes to mind I'll certainly let
you know.

> Bottom line though is that this type of site is only as good as the
> users make it. If there's interest in having this set up, I'll go ahead
> with it but if there'd be very little interest in it then it will be pretty
> lame.

Well, *I* for one would love to see something along this line available.
Not that the stuff that's out there isn't good...  far from it!  But, it'd be
nice to have a site that consolidates it all (at least with links) by lens
model, and where people could record their practical, day-to-day, real-
life observations about a particular lens.  Like I said, *I* would certainly
contribute what I could, although my kit isn't extensive and what I have
is pretty common.

> Thanks!

You're welcome!  Again, I hope that's helpful!

Regards,

Chris

P.S.  Oh, yeah, I almost forgot...  if you *do* develop such a site, I'll be
glad to add it to the "Zuikoholic Enablers" page at the Zuikoholics
Anonymous site!  :-)

---
Chris O'Neill (coneill@xxxxxxxxxxx)
http://www.nucleus.com/~coneill