Re: [OM] more BIN musings

Subject: Re: [OM] more BIN musings
From: Chris Barker <imagopus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2001 15:14:50 +0000
Simon

I will look at your graph later (when my free Internet starts :>)), but I am pretty sure I know how depressing it will be.

If it is any consolation:

1.      The rate is more like 1.44 at present I believe.
2. Those cheapskates in the USA don't know when they should be paying more for quality :>). 3. It's no good our complaining as the British market is priced at what consumers will pay... whatever the product. Look at "white goods" for instance. The retailers are almost certainly operating a cartel, but no official body, much less the Government, seems willing to make a serious move against this illegal setup.

By the way, you might be interested to know that the shops at the US military bases in Germany are no longer the bargain that they used to be. With the exchange rate as bad as it is, it is no longer worth the trouble and expense of travelling to Bitburg or Ramstein to buy electrical goods at the BX (Base Exchange).

I am now re-subscribed to the List after our move from the Netherlands back to England... I can see that England needs me with all the problems that we have, not least the politicians that we still have running us :>).

Finally, you will be glad to hear that the last new OM purchase I made was an OM4 in the Camera Barn in Tampa in 1989!

Chris

This discussion (the recent sale of a 90 f2 macro on ebay) prompted me to
compare new prices in the USA and UK. I chose to compare B&H and Jessop, the
biggest chain in the UK. I converted the B&H prices to UK pounds (at 1.5 USD
per Pound) and then ran up a graph of new lens prices. Despite the strong
Pound, I knew it wouldn't look good...

But it's shocking - UK prices are between 150 and 2500f those at B&H. If
you can stomach it I have uploaded a graph and the data here:

http://www.geocities.com/ruralwales/om_prices.html

Simon E.

~~~~~ ><>
Chris Barker