Re: [OM] MC or not MC?

Subject: Re: [OM] MC or not MC?
From: Gary Reese <pcacala@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2001 06:18:56 -0800
Hi Scott:

<< OK, I've found myself in possession of two 28/2.8s. But now I've got
a puzzlement.

One, new in the box that says "Zuiko MC Auto-W" on it also says Zuiko MC
on the lens as I would think it should. My assumption is that it's
multicoated :-) Serial #172xxx

The other is a "Zuiko Auto-W". Never had the box as I bought it used.
Multicoated? Serial #374xxx

Is there a definitive way to tell by visual inspection? >>

You don't have to. The 28mm f/2.8 only came out as a multicoated lens,
as per:
http://brashear.phys.appstate.edu/lhawkins/photo/multicoat.txt
and
http://brashear.phys.appstate.edu/lhawkins/photo/mc-sc.survey

As for the ID ring differences, it was an industry-wide practice in the
mid 1980's to just drop MC from a lens identification once multi-coating
became nearly universal. Olympus followed suit on this in and around
1983. Also, don't get too caught up on box identifications. You'll even
find some where you get combinations like "F.Zuiko MC" which we all know
is illogical.

Gary Reese
Las Vegas, NV