Re: [OM] more BIN musings

Subject: Re: [OM] more BIN musings
From: Andrew Dacey <frugal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2001 23:07:50 -0400
ClassicVW@xxxxxxx wrote:

> Right. And you may not have the time to "watch" an item, nor to keep
> checking the auction, and you may not be near your computer to watch
> and bid as the auction is ending.

Well the not being around at the end of the auction can be solved with a
snipe (www.esnipe.com will do them for you). That's one good way to go
because you can decide on a maximum price and then just forget about it
(a good practice).

Usually, the best way to get a good deal on ebay is to have very few
people bidding on an item. By using a snipe, you don't get into a
bidding war at all, your bid only gets put in at the end.

BIN can also serve the same purpose, if the price is good. I've seen
some auctions where the BIN price has been the same as the starting
price. Why anyone would bid on the item then instead of just paying the
BIN price is beyond me. Usually, that BIN price isn't a great deal (it
might be an average price, but I've never seen a really great deal yet)
but, it's still a lower price (guaranteed) than you'd get if there are
at least 2 bids on the item.

--
Andrew "Frugal" Dacey,
frugal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx