Re: [OM] OM2 Mirror probs?

Subject: Re: [OM] OM2 Mirror probs?
From: "Chris O'Neill" <coneill@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2001 12:15:29 -0700
silas <Steve.Gullick@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I am new to this group although I have has OM1s in many guises since
1975, I
> have only ever had one OM2 which I liked very much.

Welcome aboard, Steve!  I'm sure you'll enjoy being a part of the group!

> Could anyone help with a couple of queries. What is the situation for OM1
> batteries, are they discontinued or what?

The 1.35v mercury batteries are illegal in the US and, because of this,
Varta no longer makes them.  They're getting difficult to find outside the
US, too.  Here in Canada, the price has gone from CDN$6 (US$4) each to
CDN$10 (US$7), if you can find them.  Those who plan ahead (like myself)
have stocked up.

> I have been offered an OM2 with the mirror locked up, is this repairable
a)
> by myself b) by a dealer, if so at what sort of cost.

A locked mirror can be caused by anything from dead batteries (easy), to a
totally jammed camera.  Replace the batteries and try it again.  Once the
batteries have been replaced, press the little "reset" button down by the
shutter speed ring, and move the shutter speed ring to the "B" position.
That "should" reset it.

If that doesn't work, try firmly (but carefully) smacking the base against
the palm of your hand.  (This unfroze an OM-PC for me, but I'm not sure
it'll unfreeze an OM-2???)  Other than that, it's best to send it out for
repair.

Hope that helps!  Again, welcome aboard!

Regards,

Chris

P.S.  Be careful in your visits here.  There's alot of Zuikoholics (people
addicted to Olympus/Zuiko equipment) hanging out here, and you might just
get the disease yourself.  For more info on Zuikoholism, see this site:

http://www.nucleus.com/~coneill/mypictures/zuikoholism/index.html