Re: [OM] KEH Bargains

Subject: Re: [OM] KEH Bargains
From: Gary Reese <pcacala@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2001 02:17:56 -0800
Bob W. asks:

<< For those who have actually bought Bargain from KEH and other
outlets, are they speaking truth? Do these lenses do the job even if
they don't look so good? >>

"Yes" is what I was kind of saying just the other day regarding my own
BGN and UGLY lenses.

I don't think, for the most part, that working pros (especially
photojournalists) who buy their own equipment or use in-house
inventories (versus get stuff new from manufacturers) worry about
cosmetics issues. For one thing, they wouldn't rent if they did!

I've also heard it said that Americans, in particular, are major
consumers of replacement top and bottom covers and front elements.  I
wonder how many were "necessary" refurbs, or just protecting their
investment?

KEH's BGN includes a subgroup with notable wear, but not reflecting
heavy or even moderate use. Rather, moderately light use with localized
mis-use resulting in things like ill-fitting strap brassing only at the
lugs and bottom of the lens barrel polishing from quick release plates.
Now there are some real bargains. Those are the ones you'll see SOME
other dealers try to squeeze a Exc- out of (e.g., Cameta). Of course,
KEH only has Ex+ and Ex.

Gary Reese
Las Vegas, NV