Re: [OM] Nikon School and thoughts about classrooms.

Subject: Re: [OM] Nikon School and thoughts about classrooms.
From: Pandionhalietius@xxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 9 Mar 2001 00:18:44 EST
-another option is to get a digital camera and practice and erase, practice
and erase.
The best learning tool has to be shooting a ton of pictures.  Film and
developing cost hinder important experience which equates to good
compostional pictures.

I have a BA in Studio Art and the only thing I really learned in classrooms
was that I did not like what my teachers liked and tried to force down my
throat.  I felt it turned me away from my uniqueness.  Classrooms have
teachers that say "good" and "bad" too much.

I have gone on to become a scientific illustrator and I give no credit to my
"art" degree.  I would have been much better served taking my tutution money
and going to Italy and seeing the stuff instead of preachy teachers.

My thought is that there is nothing better than a good teacher (rare-one that
 really inspires), and that there is nothing worse than a bad one (one that
makes you want to skip class-not that I ever did : )

I also agree that a great book is as good as it gets.
Art Wolfe has a superb book that covers alot of stuff (loaned it out and and
trying to recall exact name...  ART OF NATURE...)  Easy to find I am sure on
Amazon.com under his name.

Have confidence in the fact you can teach yourself.

John Raymond
Olympia, WA