Re: [OM] another fine CLA!

Subject: Re: [OM] another fine CLA!
From: "M. Sparks" <msparks@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 08 Mar 2001 12:19:01 -0500
John then Jay wrote:

> Spark's leather is the stickiest stuff I've ever seen.
> Is this a bug or a feature?

I just got alerted to this thread; I'm running behind on digests.

Adhesives are too complex a science for me, but I can say the stuff on
the leathers is completely different from a factory cover.  Original
leatherette is a vinyl sheet backed with a layer of sticky "goo".  It
won't dry out like shellac, but it won't shrink with the leatherette,
and eventually gets pulled up at the edges.  This lets dust underneath,
which kills the adhesion.  This problem is worse on the front of OM
bods, which have screw holes and indents on the outboard
ends....creating permanent air pockets under that part of the cover that
wants to peel first.

The leathers have 4 layers: The top leather, an adhesive, then another
solid black carrier layer, and then a different adhesive that bonds to
the camera.  Any stress caused by shrink/swell is (hopefully!) absorbed
by the top adhesive layer.  I didn't come up with this process--a job
realted endeavor...I just applied it to cameras.

These can be put on by the camera owner, and the most important step is
getting your camera and hands as clean as possible.  That means wiping
the cover area with a petroleum solvent on a clean cloth and drying,
several times.  Even oil on your hands can affect the adhesive.

I'm going to link an installation guide on my site as soon as I get some
time.

Morgan Sparks