[OM] [OT] DOS/CPM Victor-9000

Subject: [OM] [OT] DOS/CPM Victor-9000
From: "Alan" <atk@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 8 Mar 2001 16:34:04 -0000
When I was a kid in school a prof asked me to write a tektronic
emulator for a Victor-9000. This was an interesting computer that
came out around 1981 or 1982 (it had a different name in europe)
and a set of loyal followers till 1990 or so. Anyways, the
machine had 400x800 monochrome graphics (several years before the
herc card become available for the pc) a 1.2mb floppy drive (ibm
only had 360kb in those dates) and a bunch of other nice features.

Hum - oh yea CPM vs DOS - the computer had memory mapped video but
it (the hardware) had been designed around CPM. CPM used high memory
for the OS - DOS used low memory. When DOS became the defacto standard
one of the memory buffers for the Victor-9000 video was over-written by
the OS. Wasn't the end of th world since you could disable the first
buffer - but they couldn't port this nifty little space game they had
that run under CPM. A real loss to humanity.

Any one else use one of these ?

Alan