Re: [OM] What I'd like to see in the next OM (dreaming)

Subject: Re: [OM] What I'd like to see in the next OM (dreaming)
From: Wayne <shumaker@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 05 Mar 2001 20:02:33 -0500
Ray, If you left the basic camera mechanics alone and only replace the
electronics in the OM-4t, some of options would not be possible, eg.
higher shutter speed and faster sync. In my mind, what would be nice is
that the low light capability is not compromised or the relatively long
battery life from silver oxides batteries. The main improvement given
those constraints would be in the flash system: rear curtain sync, fill
flash modes... I have looked on occasion at the OM-4t circuits (from
the patents that Tim Hughes has mentioned, which btw have moved to:
http://www.delphion.com/details?&pn=US04618238__ ), and have thought
about making improvements. Maybe even sneak in a test chip on one my
projects here at Linear, just a couple of die per wafer, no would
know... Oh yes, the rest of my life, and time for relationships you
say, time for photography...

Maybe we as a group can re-design the circuits and retro-fit them into
the camera? Any takers? Or maybe we can work up a spec for Olympus. But
of course a new flash system would have to be built, maybe using the
extra two leads used by the F280 to add some advanced communication
with the flash, like a 2 wire bus, allowing pre-flash measurement, etc.
1/60 sync though is a limitation. If one really needs all the wonder
brick features, there are other systems with their accompanying weight
that are perfectly good. except where is the low light ability for my
Provia 100F, which has great reciprocity...

...were are those OM-5 topic archives again....

Wayne