Re: [OM] Vivitar lens on eBay

Subject: Re: [OM] Vivitar lens on eBay
From: WKato@xxxxxxx
Date: Sun, 4 Mar 2001 23:47:56 EST
bphuber@xxxxxxxxxx writes:

> There is a lens now on eBay, closing in ~2hours.  It is spec'd as a Vivitar
>  TX lens. I initially bid.  But, on further inspection and finding an old
>  data sheet, I says "oops" to myself.  That lens is not a TX.  It is a T-4.
>  The TX series is shorter by about 3-4 inches.  If anyone is looking for one
>  (nice internal-focusing lens), this ain't it.
>  http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1217017938

Your cautions were correct. The TX Vivitar focuses to 13 feet and uses 77mm
filters and had IF. There were no T4 adapters made for Olympus, only the rare
TX adapters and ergo no T4 lens would ever fit Olympus. The TX was a pretty
good performer for its time and had resolution of 37 to 45 lp/mm and medium
contrast when stopped down a little. If the seller couldn't get a T4 adapter
on his lens--well, they were quite difficult to get on in his defense.

Warren

PS. The Sigma 400/5.6 non-APO I used to have was a pretty good lens and was
sharper full open compared to a Zuiko 300/4.5 with 1.4X. Stopped down they
were both comparable. I have a regular 400/5.6 for Vivitar also, but it's
nothing to write home about.