Re: [OM]21 f2 rarity

Subject: Re: [OM]21 f2 rarity
From: "mike m." <mnmitch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 02 Mar 2001 15:07:01 +0000

Winsor Crosby wrote:

> Since they are still being sold new(B&H: $959.95), how can you talk
> about rarity and the total number produced?
>
> Winsor

I guess I should have said it took me 3 years to find a nice used one. I
knew they were available new just couldn't afford/justify the price of a
new one. Maybe they rarely become available on the used market. And as
far as being sold new, when do think the one or ones that B&H have in
stock were made? Just last year I found a camera shop that had some nice
OM equipment on the shelves. When I inquired he quickly offered to sell
me any item on the shelf for cost,1986 cost and he showed me the sales
catalog and produced the purchase invoices. They had been sitting on the
shelves since 1986. I purchased a 85 f2 for $189 and a 50 f3.5 for $159,
I passed on the 3 OM4-t's and the MD 2 and the other gear he had. I went
back 2 weeks later and offered to buy all the remaining OM gear for 15%
below cost and the owner refused, saying that he couldn't loose money on
the deal,cost or nothing.It's still sitting on the shelves.
So, getting back to the original question, when I was looking for one on
the used market I rarely saw one and when I did find a nice one I
snapped it up. As for being rare,I guess its subjective,what if a small
number were made and they haven't all been sold yet? Could it be that
Olympus has 10 left in the warehouse and when the stock gets down to 5
they will produce another batch of 1000...I kinda doubt it. And I hate
to say it, but if B&H does sell a new 21/2, they probably won't order
another one to put in stock.

FWIW I saw 2 NIB black 4-t's with the 2-13 screens sell on eBay for less
than the 4t's cost in 1986,that's why I wasn't eager to buy one. Had it
been 3 OM-3t's...well thats another story.