Re: [OM] Mmmmmm1 and 350's

Subject: Re: [OM] Mmmmmm1 and 350's
From: GFaulk7376@xxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2001 18:20:33 EST
In a message dated 2/26/01 9:50:35 AM Central Standard Time,
dolphans1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

> Considering the fact that only  50-500  350 f2.8 lenses were produced, makes
>  the 350 appear that much more rarer?
>
>  I have heard that as little as 50 were made in the black version.
>
>  Sam...

Sam,
I don't know how many black 350's were made, but as an initial data point,
the one I owned was 100038 ( I may have the number of zeros wrong. I am
sitting in a motel room as a write this). Before I bought the lens, I called
Oly and spoke to Pat MacFarland. Pat told me the number which I can't
remember now. It wasn't many-50 or  so. MacFarland also said to inspect black
350's for front element coating problems. He said the coating on early lenses
occasionally flaked off. The one I bought was a user condition lens with
small front element marks, but no flaking. The focus on that lens was butter
smooth and the build quality and feel despite high usage was impeccable.
NEVER should have sold it. The white one I have now appears to be equally
sharp with a little less smoothness in the focus ring. I shot a basketball
game yesterday with it and am eager to get the proofs back.
Gary Faulkenberry