Re: [OM] Mmmmmm1

Subject: Re: [OM] Mmmmmm1
From: Mark Dapoz <md@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2001 10:08:51 -0500 (EST)
On Mon, 26 Feb 2001, dolphans1 wrote:

> Great M-1 page Michael, any idea of how many M-1's were actually produced?
>
> I've heard that not many of them made it into the United States. Most where
> sold in Japan.

I've always heard the number as being around 10,000 units, but after
researching the serial number vs production datestamp, I'm not really
convinced that's the right number.  Assuming Olympus assigned serial
numbers in a reasonably linear fashion, M-1's seem to terminate production
around serial number 150,000.  From the few datestamps I've collected, and
assuming the datestamps on the film pressue plate are reasonably linear,
it appears Olympus was producing around 5000-8000 bodies per month when
the M-1 was renamed OM-1.  So, I'd say the correct figure would be much
higher than 10,000.
                                                -mark