Re: [OM] Zuikostatistics 101

Subject: Re: [OM] Zuikostatistics 101
From: Gregg Iverson <giverson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2001 21:07:52 -0500
One of the problems we face is so many people (students included) believe what they see on TV and the other media. What they are taught in school matters little because they have seen the "truth" with their own eyes. As an example, many of my students feel (I use that word intentionally) that seatbelts are dangerous because of the risk of an explosion or fire in an accident. They are afraid the seatbelt will become jammed, and they will be trapped inside the vehicle. When they are asked, they say that is what happens in an accident on TV or in the movies. The actual statistics of the percent of fires or explosions in an accident hold little importance (left brain) when compared to the images (right brain) they see of the fire or explosion, however unreal it may be.

In the same way, if they are fed incorrect statistics enough times they will believe them, no matter what the facts may be.

My $0.02
Gregg

Rich wrote:
It would be nice if kids were given a basic consumer information course in
high school (some schools do this) that includes elementary statistics.  But
as you noted, schools are struggling to keep kids enrolled long enough to
graduate with the basics (understanding that 1/4 and 0.25 are equivalent, for
example).  The latest figures (here we go....) on the Seattle school district
show about a 23 0rop out rate, which to me, is intolerable.