Re: [OM] Dust and Oil in lenses

Subject: Re: [OM] Dust and Oil in lenses
From: Garth Wood <garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 13:31:10 -0700
At 07:49 PM 2/20/01 +0000, Jeremy Zobel wrote:
I just received a bunch of lenses from a large purchase. I noticed oil on the diapragm elements of the 50mm macro and tiny dust particles inside. How does this effect the lens? Should I be concerned?

The oil on the aperture blades may cause them to "hesitate" when stopping down. They should probably be cleaned.

The dust particles are unavoidable in any lens which has an open construction (i.e., the barrel length changes when focus changes, which sucks air into or blows air out of the interior of the lens). In general, this is not a problem, because the dust particles cannot resolve, and you will not notice them in your viewfinder or on the rendered image.

However, if there's a fair amount of dust, it *could* cause an increase in flare (most likely manifesting itself as haze or a loss of contrast in your photos). Only inspection of actual photos will help you determine whether you like how the images are being rendered, and only a comparison with a relatively "clean" example of the lens can tell you whether or not there's unacceptable loss of contrast.

Garth

"A bad day doing photography is better
 than a good day doing just about
 anything else."

The Unofficial Olympus Web Photo Gallery at:

   http://www.taiga.ca/~gallery/