RE: [OM] Digital P&S with macro

Subject: RE: [OM] Digital P&S with macro
From: Chip Stratton <cstrat@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2001 14:05:56 -0600
Warren -

Pics from a 1 megapixel camera do fine, but the $300 ones usually  just have
a fixed 35mm equivalent lens. This makes for some perspective distortion
when you get as close to smaller items (like lenses) as you want to be for a
good picture. So it would be good to get one that zooms out to around 100mm
equivalent.

The other thing is getting proper exposure. Most in that price range have
exposure compensation now, but it was a bit  of a hassle with my  old D340
getting good exposure (critical with digital cameras with their limited
latitude sensors) in macro mode.

Also helps to have an aperture priority or manual mode, to control the DOF
on those close up shots.

But, like I did, you can just make do and still eventually get  acceptable
results with a more limited camera. Or,  stay the film route - but  its a
bit more time consuming.

Chip Stratton
cstrat@xxxxxxxxx