Re: [OM] HOrribly OT SPAM

Subject: Re: [OM] HOrribly OT SPAM
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2001 01:31:55 +0000
At 05:46 2/14/01, Susan Steele wrote:
Nick said:
<< Susan, you must frequent a different type of newsgroup/website than I
 do!  I never get SPAM like that.  ;-(>>

No newsgroups, no XXX websites...i figgered twas my association with you
guys???  :=P
SS

Susan,
If you're on the net long enough, it happens sooner or later. Sometimes it's a shotgun spam mailing just guessing at likely user names and pairing them with all known domain names. There are also sophisticated "bots" that spider the internet looking for mail list archives and anything else that might contain an email address to scoop up.

You don't need to post anything to a USENET news group, but if anyone else cross-posts something from this list or out of its archives without deleting email addresses, it will get picked up and you will start receiving spam. BTW, it is considered good netiquette to _delete_ any and all email addresses when cross-posting anything to a USENET news group!

The amount of spam I get has gone up again, so I've started tracking every piece down to its source and complaining to the ISP's and upstream providers about it again. With the right tools, you can figure out where it came from. Maybe not the exact email account, but at least the ISP. Get good enough at reading the cryptic email headers and you can spot how stuff originating from one ISP gets distributed through an "open relay" in a server email system somewhere else half-way around the world. There are a lot of loosely operated systems in third-world countries where they haven't learned yet how to secure their systems . . . or maybe don't care. Sooner or later they get threatened with iternet blacklisting (The Internet Black Hole List) or worse yet The Internet Death Penalty (everybody else refuses anything coming out of their domain). UUNET _almost_ suffered this a while back.

-- John