[OM] Update to Wide-Angle site . . .

Subject: [OM] Update to Wide-Angle site . . .
From: "Olaf Greve" <olaf_greve@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2001 10:48:19 -0000
Cc: j.korten@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi,

I see two questions of general interest were asked regarding the Wide Angle site, so I'll answer them here:

Olafo, I'd like to thank you for the information on the new Wide-Angle website feature. My experience in dealing with Jaap has been that he packs the items well, despatches them promptly and his prices are fair.

You're welcome, and I'm glad your experiences have been good! :)

I also ordered an Olympus 35SP, which he sent but the Indonesian Post Office managed to lose; however, I was compensated by them!

So the notorious post-office case is finally closed... I'm glad to hear that too! :)

My only problem in ordering those items from Jaap was that he accepted only bank transfer as the means of payment. Please can
you tell us whether Jaap now accepts other, more cost effective forms
of payment?

O.k., so this is question nr. 1: well, I've had this discussion with Jaap when the site was initially launched. I believe Jaap has gotten "his fingers burned" a few times regarding credit card fraud and is now a bit hesitant to incorporate this to the site. I will take this matter up with him again (note: Jaap is on the CC list, so he receives a copy of this message) and I will let the list know if credit cards or other forms of payment will be accepted.

Question nr. 2 is a technical issue:
http://www.wide-angle.nl

Olaf, when I put this in my AOL search window, I get "session outdated or invalid" and "click here to refresh". When I do that, nothing happens.... just get the same "expired/invalid" page.

The reason for this is the way my session validator works. On a previous occassion someone had mailed a URL to the list, in which their session ID was passed. When clicking on that link, one would then get access to the shopping cart of that person. I deemed this undesirable behaviour and enforced a more strict checking of the sessions. What I did was to implement an IP (sub)domain checker, this means that the first 3 (of a total of 4) numbers of the IP address from which the page is visited is checked against the passed session ID and IP information, these first three numbers typically uniquely define a subdomain. The only thing which messes things like this up at times, is a so-called load balancer (or perhaps another scheme used at AOL that assigns dynamic IP addresses to the users). The problem is that such a balancer will assign different IP numbers for each access. For this reason, I don't check for a unique IP address, but rather for the subdomain. This is the first time, though, that I've heard that such a program causes errors on the Wide Angle page after creating a new session; this then most likely means that the AOL software either messes up the passed IP address information, or that it assigns a different subdomain for the various accesses...

Can you please try visiting the pages using Netscape or Internet Explorer and tell me whether this problem keeps occurring? If so, let's take this discussion off-list, as I have some ways of checking which IP addresses your software assigns to you, and using that I can "debug" (I used quotes as the validator works as designed, and in that respect doesn't have a bug here, but still I'd like your session to be valid too :) ) the session validator...

Cheers and thanks for the feedback!
Olafo