Re: [OM] Funny for Sunday night!!

Subject: Re: [OM] Funny for Sunday night!!
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2001 21:08:37 +0000
At 17:41 2/12/01, George S. wrote:
Oh, sure. Now we have to ask Gary Reese to go back and re-do all his lens
tests with funnels. How else can we be absolutely certain the photons were
evenly distributed?

Oooooh! I think we'd be in real trouble if all the photons were completely distributed evenly. If that happened, the photograph, if properly exposed, would produce a very nice 18 0ray card out of a B/W test chart with lpmm bars on it! Hmmmm, maybe _that's_ how they are made?

I do agree that Gary should immediately redo all his tests using photon funnels to determine the magnitude of improvement they make. I have reason to believe this is why all my lenses seem to perform better at resolution than his test results . . . since I am a rigorous user of photon funnels.

For Chris O'Neill's benefit, I also use lens corks to keep the photons from leaking back out after I've made the photographs. I'm also certain that rigorous use of lens corks is a major contributor to high contrast performance. It only stands to reason that if too many of the photons leak out before the film is processed and they are "fixed" to it that the image _will_ lose contrast.

-- John
(whose next missive will be a technical explanation of why electronics quit working when all the compressed smoke inside them leaks out)