Re: [OM] your favorite lenses???

Subject: Re: [OM] your favorite lenses???
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2001 23:00:40 +0000
At 02:09 2/12/01, you wrote:
You are very right about the tests (thanks Gary!).  The have helped me alot,
I just wanted to add user opinion to get a more rounded answer.

Based on the test charts, I have already set my sights on saving up for a
90/2. I find I use the wider lenses more and wanted to spend the $$ wisely.

Garth is right about 28mm being about as wide as you can get before having to be careful about how you manage image perspective and convergence. In 35mm format, the 28mm lens was one of the most popular among newspaper photojournalists for that reason (it could be cropped in the darkroom, but it had to be on the negative to do so).

That said, I have the 24/2 and it is superb. My sequence of WA's is the 18mm, 24mm and 35mm. The other popular one is Garth's with the 21mm and 28mm. It's a matter of what you want for your images and how tightly you want the sequence to step. If perspective convergence is too severe with the 24mm, I'll back up to the 35mm and make it work if I can . . . someone with the other sequence would use the 28mm.

-- John