[OM] Studio lighting using multiple strobes - question

Subject: [OM] Studio lighting using multiple strobes - question
From: John Hudson <xyyc@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2001 14:26:06 -0800
I have a real easy question for someone who knows the answer!! Here it
is.

Does anyone have experience with studio lighting, using using multiple
strobes / soft boxes to photograph stationary objects on a table top,
and using a light tent which completely surrounds the table top.

My query sounds simple but I have had conflicting answers from people
who I thought would know the answer. Assume that you have three strobe /
soft boxes. One is left at 45 degrees to the object and at a 45 degree
elevation. The second is in front of the object and at a 45 degree
elevation. The third is right at 45 degrees to the subject and at a 45
degree elevation. Each strobe measures f8 using a flash meter at the
subject pointing back to the camera.

All strobes fire simultaneously. Camera to subject distance is
approximately six feet. The table top is made of translucent Plexiglas.
The surface of the object being photographed, say a 12" figurine, will
be illuminated by all three strobes to the extent that the light from
one strobe will overlap the light from one or both of the other two
strobes. Strobe / soft box distance to the subject is about three feet.

My query is whether the camera aperture is set at f8 [the output of each
strobe] or whether it is set at f16 which is the accumulated light
output to the extent that the light from each strobe will overlap the
light from each of the other two. Intuitively I think it should be f16
but I have had seemingly knowledgeable opinion saying that it should be
f8.

If this enquiry sounds dumb I really apologize. I guess what I looking
for is an indication of the way one meters for the effects of wrap
around lighting when the light from multiple strobes fired
simultaneously wraps around the subject at the same time.

John Hudson