Re: [OM] [OT] Re: "Basic MBA material" (Was: discussion of Oly digital i

Subject: Re: [OM] [OT] Re: "Basic MBA material" (Was: discussion of Oly digital incomp...
From: "C.H.Ling" <chling@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2001 00:25:29 +0800
----- Original Message -----
From: <ClassicVW@xxxxxxx>

> C.H.-
> I certainly agree with your comments. Olympus apparently did see a field
> where they could be profitable enough for their needs- P&S and ZLR.
>
> (We probably covered a discussion of this in past years here, but I still
> can't understand why they let their AF SLR line die so soon after its
birth?
> You'd think that with their combination of lightweight camera-building
> experience,spot metering and super FP flash technologies, they would have
> been well-poised for that market?!)

This is really a mystery, I think at around 1987, they already stop all new
development of OM system. May be by that time they already found their SLR
business was going down, there was almost no chance to be one of the biggest
SLR system supplier. Like Penxxx, I have check their company web, they have
big lost in these few years, may be Olympus have foreseen if they cannot be
one of the three biggest AF system supplier there will be no chance to stay
profitable. Even now the third largest AF supplier Minxxxa (I think), their
business was not so good. If anyone interested, you can check their annual
report, I remember all of them have English version.

I also remember seen from somewhere, Olympus said anyone want to be
profitable from digital camera, they must have at least 250f the market
share. I think they have the strategic that if they have no confidence to
get enough market share they just escape from that business or find an
alternate way.

C.H.Ling